If you have a passion for art and love teaching, then being a fine arts teacher may be a fulfilling career choice for you. But before you pursue a career in this field, it’s important to have a clear understanding of what this profession entails. This blog post will explore what a fine arts teacher does, the required certification and education, how much they earn in the USA, and the top salary for this profession.
What is the Definition of Fine Arts Teacher?
A fine arts teacher is an individual who teaches the theory, techniques, and history of art to students ranging from kindergarten to college level. A typical day for a fine arts teacher involves preparing lesson plans that involve hands-on activities such as drawing, painting, sculpting, and printmaking.
These educators aim at instilling creativity, imagination, and critical thinking in their students. They encourage students to express themselves through the arts, develop innovative ideas, and problem-solving capabilities.
Art Teacher Certification NY & NJ
A fine arts teacher needs an art education degree or equivalent certification to work. Many institutions require art teacher certification NY or NJ to practice. The art teacher certification process differs depending on the state. In New York and New Jersey, for example, you must first obtain a Bachelor’s degree in art education or a related field. After completing a post baccalaureate art teacher certification program, you can apply for certification from the State Education Department.
Art Teacher Certification Online
If traditional learning doesn’t fit your schedule, there are online art teacher certification programs available. Institutions such as Columbia University and the University of Southern California offer an online Master’s in Art Education that caters to those who want to complete the required coursework at their pace. Such courses provide learners with innovative and flexible ways to learn the necessary instructional and pedagogical skills required in this profession.
Art Education Degree Online
An art education degree online program is a course offering aimed at equipping aspiring art teachers with the necessary skills of delivering art education in a classroom setting. An art education degree online covers art education theory and practice necessary for the effective teaching of art in K-12 schools. One upside of getting an art education degree online is that you can complete it at your pace, provided that you complete all the learning requirements.
What Do You Do as an Art Teacher?
The central responsibility of a fine arts teacher is to pass on their knowledge of art theory, history and technique to students. This involves planning interactive and engaging lessons that cater to the artistic interests and preferences of students. Art teachers also grade student artwork, provide feedback and guidance on how to improve on their skills, and manage a classroom environment conducive to learning.
Other duties include sourcing for art supplies, leading field trips, and participating in parent-teacher conferences. If a complication arises in the classroom, art teachers have to employ their problem-solving capabilities to address the issue in the best way possible.
How Much Does a Fine Arts Teacher Earn in the USA?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary of fine arts teachers in the USA is $61,210 per year, as of May 2020. The amount varies depending on the employer, the level of education taught, and the region. High-end earners in this profession, some of whom teach at the university level, can earn up to $110,520 per year.
What is the Top Salary for an Art Teacher?
The top salary in this profession refers to the highest amount that a fine arts teacher can earn per annum. The top-level earners are those who teach in post-secondary institutions such as colleges and universities. The top earners are those who have years of experience and are more qualified academically.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the top 10% of fine arts teachers earn $110,520 per year, which translates to approximately $53.10 an hour.
Art Courses for Teachers
Art courses for teachers are programs that provide art instructors with the necessary knowledge and skills in art theory, history, and technique. Such courses help fine arts teachers learn new teaching methods that help them create a more innovative classroom environment. Some art courses for teachers include:
- Using Technology in the Art Classroom: This program teaches teachers how to integrate technology into the classroom, such as using digital art to make the curriculum more interactive.
- Teaching Art to Special Needs Students: This course is aimed at educating teachers on techniques they can use to provide quality art education to special needs students.
- Developing Creativity Skills: This course offers educators insight into methods of developing creativity skills in students.
Art Teacher Certification PA
Pennsylvania is one of the states that require art teacher certification. To become a certified fine arts teacher in PA, you need to obtain a Bachelor’s degree in art education, fine arts, or a related field. The coursework covers industry-standard education pedagogy and instructional strategies specifically tailored to art education.
After completing the program, you can apply to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for a certification card. The state issues art teacher certification PA for various kinds of teachers such as K-12, vocational, and adult education.
How to Become an Art Teacher?
To become a fine arts teacher, you need to take the following steps:
- Earn a Bachelor’s Degree: Fine arts teacher education requires a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution that offers art education programs. The coursework typically covers art history, art theory, and instructional strategies.
- Complete a State-Approved Art Teacher Certification Program: The program should meet state-specific instruction requirements for student teaching, pedagogical skills, and art education theory.
- Obtain Art Teacher Certification: After completing the state-approved art teacher certification program, you must obtain an art teacher certificate from the state in which you intend to teach.
- Gain Teaching Experience: After certification, you should acquire experience in the field by working as an art teacher assistant or volunteering at a local museum, gallery, or community center.
- Pursue Higher Education: Pursuing an art education degree or a master’s degree in art education assists in earning higher pay. Additionally, higher education provides opportunities for professional growth and advancement in the teaching field.
Being a fine arts teacher is a fulfilling and rewarding career. To become one, you must complete a Bachelor’s degree in art education, complete a state-approved art teacher certification program, and gain teaching experience. After certification, you’re ready to teach students art theory, techniques, and critical thinking. While each state has unique art teacher certification requirements, the education and skills taught extensively overlap.
As per the data provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Fine Arts Teachers earn $61,210 per year, with the top 10% earners making more than $110,520 annually. Pursuing higher education in the form of a Master’s in Art Education, an art education degree online, or attending art courses for teachers provides opportunities for growth and higher pay.